Unit of competency details
TLILIC2001 – Licence to operate a forklift truck
This unit specifies the skills and knowledge required to operate a forklift truck safely.
Forklift truck means a powered industrial truck equipped with lifting media made up of a mast and an elevating load carriage to which is attached a pair of fork arms or other arms that can be raised 900 mm or more above the ground, but does not include a pedestrian-operated truck or a pallet truck.
A person performing this work is required to hold a forklift truck high risk work (HRW) licence.
This unit requires a person operating a forklift truck to plan the work, conduct routine checks on a forklift truck, shift loads in a safe manner, and safely shut down and secure equipment after completing operations.
This unit is based on the licensing requirements of Part 4.5 of the Model Work Health and Safety (WHS) Regulations, HRW and meets Commonwealth, state and territory HRW licensing requirements.
Method of training and assessment
Delivered on site via Prior skills verification Power Point presentation, Student Study guides, Pre Assessment activity books, Practical driver training, Prior skills verification. Assessment using Mandated Worksafe Assessment methods.
The site must have:
- Racking or the ability to stack loads to greater than 75% of forklift lift height which is found on the Forklift data plate. Eg forklift lift height on data plate is 5m then racking or ability to stack loads to a minimum height of 3750mm (based on the lift height of 5m). If your data plate has a lift height of less than 5m then this is not a problem we just have to be able to lift to a height of no less than 75% of whatever it says.
- A Forklift that is in good condition and to Australian Standards with an operators manual.
- 3 working loads all to be a minimum of 250kg (Pallets with stock on them or stillages / cages that can be stacked or racked).
- Factory / yard space that is clear of floor obstructions and vehicles. Can be a combination of inside or outside.
- A quiet room with large table and chairs.
- Trainee must have a Safety Vest and Safe shoes.